What are the aims of our School Guidance Programme?
Our school guidance and counselling service aims to share with parents in the formation of their children by encouraging and assisting students to develop an awareness and an acceptance of their talents, to foster self esteem and to help and guide them (academically, vocationally and personally) through their formative years in school. We seek to prepare students for the world of college and/or work by exploring career opportunities so they can grow in independence and be able to make informed decisions as mature and honourable young adults
- First years : Assisting them in making their transition from primary to secondary school a positive experience .
- Second Years : Through the SPHE programme and with individual counselling if needed we assist students in their academic, personal and social develpoment.
- Third Years : Year long contact with guidance counsellor the following topics are convered; study skills programme, SPHE curriculum, positive mental health, help them understand and reflect upon the process of decision making skills with a view to Transition year and /or Leaving Certificate subject choice.
- Transition years: Using the “REACH” programme students have an opportunity to reflect on their motivation and goals, use career websites to collate information on their interests and the world of work and match them with different career sectors , investigate one particular sector, reflect on their work experience and to open their minds to further and higher education.
- Fifth years: Study skills presentation night , Investigation of careers through LCVP , speakers brought in to explore different career areas and courses in further /higher education centres. Work experience. Counselling available when necessary.
- Sixth years : Goal setting, motivation, Study skills programme for sixth years, Interest Inventories, personal qualities and skills needed for particular careers. Information on college faculties and career categories, explanation and assistance with CAO and UCAS applications. Exploration of other training colleges/ courses, Fas, Apprenticeships, Army, information on HEAR/DARE programmes, assistance to students with learning difficulties liaise with external agencies. Information on College accommodation, grants, making the transition to college. Counselling available when necessary.
- Students with special educational needs: Working closely with the Learning Resource Department assistance is given to students , to choose appropriate programmes in school and to prepare them for leaving school and progress into adulthood with the skills to participate to the level of their capacity and to live independent and fulfilled lives. Work involves liaising with parents/guardians , learning resource teachers and external agencies .
- The Guidance Programme in the school is divided into three main areas:
- Personal and Social Education
- Educational Guidance
- Careers Education
A detailed description of each of these areas is given in our School Guidance Plan , a very comprehensive document which recognises the Guidance and Counselling Programme as one of the key aspects of Gallen C.S Pastoral Care Programme.
Communication and Dissemination of information to senior cycle students and parents:
- Letters to parents of fifth and sixth years informing them of various events.
- Meeting with parents of sixth and third year inSep/ Oct.
- CAO meeting in Nov/Dec.
- Parent teacher meeting in December.
- Weekly classes in sixth year.
- One to one career guidance appointments
- Career library in Guidance suite
- Guidance websites on school computers.
- Newsletters to sixth years
How a parent/guardian can contact the Guidance counsellor to make an appointment:
Parents/Guardians are always welcome to make an appointment to speak with the guidance counsellor. You can do this by
1. Using the contact email on this website and the secretary will ensure she gets your message.
2. Ring the school on 090 6453600 and your call will be forwarded to her office. If she is in class she will get your message and call you back as soon as possible.