The report is divided into 5 sections:
1. The Quality of School Management.
2. The Quality of School Planning.
3. The Quality of Curricular Provision.
4. The Quality of Learning and Teaching in Subjects.
5. The Quality OF Support for Students.
What follows are quotations taken directly from the report and while we hope this will give a good indication of its content we encourage all members of the community to access the full report through the Department of Education and Science website, www.education.ie, or request a copy of the report directly from the school.
1. Quality of School Management
At a meeting with the Student Council ‘‘the school was described as a very happy place where students felt supported’’.
- A climate of mutual respect, warmth and care was evident throughout all __interactions witnessed during the course of the inspection. Every member of __the school community is valued and respected.
- The Parents Association was very complimentary about the excellent lines of __communication that exist between school and home.
- The professional, informed and caring approach taken by the staff in __monitoring students’ progress was highly commended by the members of __the Parents Association.
- There is a good working relationship between the Board and the senior __managing team. An excellent working atmosphere and spirit of co- operation __was evident at the meeting between the Board and inspectors.
- Senior management actively fosters a spirit of partnership and collaboration __with the whole staff.
- A number of posts are clearly student- focussed which is indicative of the __characteristic spirit of the school.
2. Quality of School Planning
- School Development Planning is at a very advanced stage.
- The willingness, generosity and commitment of staff, evident from the __professional manner in which they have engaged the school planning process __are highly commended.
3. Quality of Curriculum Provision
- The school is commended for the breadth of subjects on offer in the junior __and senior cycle programmes where there is a good balance between __technological, scientific and arts subjects.
- It is commendable that there is a taster programme for optional subjects. It __is laudable that the First Year Parent – Teacher meeting is scheduled to __coincide with the end of the taster programme. Members of the Parents __Association highly commended this practice as it allowed parents to discuss __final subject choices with teachers.
- A very good Transition Year Programme is in place. It is specifically adapted __to meet the students’ needs.
- The very extensive range of co–curricular and extra-curricular activities is __considered a vital part of the holistic education programme offered in the __school.
- The efforts, commitment and innovation displayed by staff in providing such __a wide range of activities are highly commended. This work is highly valued __by the students, parents and the school management.
4. Quality of Learning and Teaching in Subjects
- There was a positive learning atmosphere in all classes visited.
- Good advance preparation of required resources and classroom equipment __ensured that lessons were presented in a confident and competent manner. __Teachers were familiar with and knowledgeable regarding the content of the __lessons presented. This is excellent practice and teachers are to be __congratulated for their work.
- There is excellent co-operation and collegiality among teachers.
- The rapport between teachers and students was good and teachers were __very affirming of their students’ efforts.
- The strong culture of formal assessment can be seen as a means of assisting __students to become better learners and as a strategy to encourage __students to raise their expectations for themselves to the highest realistic __levels.
5. Quality of Support for Students
- The school is committed to ensuring that all students reach their full __potential.
- A committed teaching team delivers the learning support programme at __junior and senior cycle.
- Very good contact is maintained with the learning support co-ordinator and __the parents of students in receipt of learning support.
- The school adopts a whole school approach to guidance.
- One-to-one personal and career counselling support is provided for students __in all year groups. The school is commended for the degree of one-to-one __support given for students to meet with guidance counsellors.
- Students’ contribution to the school is acknowledged and affirmed at events __such as Assemblies, Awards Night and through the recently introduced __Endeavour Awards Scheme, which aims to promote positive participation by __students in the life of the school.
- During the course of the meeting with the Parents Association the quality of __the chaplaincy services was highly commended.
- School policies and procedures encourage students to become actively __involved in the activities of the school. At a meeting with the Student Council the members were particularly appreciative of the support offered by management and staff.I would like to congratulate all members of the school community for their endeavours, which are richly appreciated in this report. We can now continue to develop Gallen Community School, Ferbane confident that the Whole School Evaluation Team has acknowledged the excellence for which we strive. I wish to assure you that our school will continue to build on the spirit of co-operation and support, which has been fostered here.–